Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Student-run Savvy's Bistro re-opens to the public

(L-R) Chef Lisa Amoriello, Chef Brook Moore, Savannah Rice, Tiara Seastrunk,
Ashlyn Stubbs, Chef Adair Smith, Bryce Reed)

Wednesday, September 26, marks the public re-opening for Savvy's Bistro, our culinary program's student-run restaurant, for Mansfield ISD patrons lunchtime during the 2012-13 school year.

Savvy's Bistro is located inside Ben Barber Career Tech Academy/Frontier High School (1120 W. Debbie Ln., Mansfield, TX, 76063). On Tuesday, September 25, Savvy's held an invitation-only soft opening so culinary students could practice the front of house and kitchen work under live conditions with guests. A special guest was among the first patrons in the restaurant yesterday. Savannah Rice (pictured above third from the left), the namesake of Savvy's came with her mom.

At the end of the 2005-2006 school year, culinary arts students at BBCTA were asked to complete a final project to provide options for restaurant designs and names. But, when fellow culinary arts student and senior Konye Rice lost her life in a car accident one week before graduation, the students chose to use her final project's design and name for the bistro as their way honor her memory. The name Savvy originates from the name Savannah, which Rice named after her niece.

"As a teacher, I am fortunate to be in Mansfield ISD so that I can combine my teaching and chef experience to help students learn about the restaurant industry," said Chef Adair Smith about Savvy's. "As a chef, I set very high expectations for my students and every year, they never cease to amaze me with their responsibility, diligence and hard work. Each year I ask my students to tell me what they learned in my class that was new or beneficial.  Most tell me that team work is the skill that they will take away with them and be able to use later in life.  I expect them to work as a team and learn to rely on each other."
---
Savvy's focus is on the education not the bottom line, so featured items come delivered to you at a very reasonable price. The bistro is open to the public for lunch from 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Additional parking for the Bistro is located in the back of the building. Check out Savvy's Bistro online, on Facebook, and their menu.

0 comments:

Post a Comment